How to call the United States from another country
What is the prefix for call the United States from another country? How do I call my country from the United States?
If you're about to start a route through the USA, knowing how to make a phone call is one of the important preparations for the tripsince it is possible that at some point you will have to contact a hotel, your travel insurance, the car rental company...
So next we will tell you how to call USA (and vice versa, how to call your country if you are already here). Take note!
🌟 Have Internet access in the United States it will also be very useful for you. From here you have a 5% discount on Holafly unlimited data cards, with the code ANUEVAYORK.
How to call the United States: prefixes and codes
- How to call the United States from another country
- How to call from the United States to another country
- Useful numbers in the United States
How to call the United States from another country
To begin with, let's see how to call USA from Spain or from other countries.
you will need to use these prefixes telephone:
- 00. The first thing you will have to dial is the exit prefix of your country. It is a number you have to dial whenever you want to call abroad.
Most countries, such as Spain, Mexico or Argentina, use the exit code 00.
Although some countries, such as Chile, Colombia or the United States, use another, so here you can see the exit prefix of all the countries of the world.
- 1. After the exit code, you will have to dial the United States telephone code, which is number 1.
- The telephone number. After dialing these two prefixes (001), you will have to enter the phone number you want to call.
US phone numbers have 10 digits and, of those 10, the first 3 correspond to the code of the area or the city to which you call. For example, calling Manhattan is not the same as calling a town in Texas.
But don't worry, because you don't have to know the area code: when they give you a phone number, it will already have everything included.
Example of how to call the United States
Taking all this into account, let's see a practical example how to call the United States from abroad.
Imagine what you want call the Metropolitan Museum of New York. If we look at its website, it tells us that the Met's phone number is as follows:
The first three digits212, are one of the Manhattan area codes, and the rest of the digits are the phone number.
But, since we want to call the Met from another country, we will have to add the number to the number exit code of our country (00) and the United States prefix (1).
Therefore, the full number that we will have to dial will look like this (the hyphens are only so you can see each part of the number, but everything is dialed continuously):
What does the + symbol mean in a US phone number?
Sometimes when searching for a United States phone number, you'll see that starts with the + symbol.
It's a reminder that you have to use the exit code of your countrybut since they don't know which country you're calling from, they use this generic symbol.
That is, for most countries, we will have to replace the + with the exit code 00.
What is the prefix for United States?
The prefix to call the United States is number 1.
Each country has its telephone prefix and here you can see them all.
How to call from the United States to another country
And if you are already in the United States and you want to call another country, for example, to talk to your family?
The process is very similar, although the prefixes change. In this example, we will tell you How to call from the United States to Spain:
- 011. To get started, you'll need to dial the United States exit prefix, which is where you're calling from. It is one of the countries that does not use the prefix 00, but uses the number 011.
Remember that here you can see the exit prefix of all the countries of the world.
- 3. 4. After the exit code, you will have to dial the telephone code of the country you want to call. In this case, the prefix for Spain is number 34.
- The telephone number. After dialing these two prefixes (01134), all you have to do is enter the phone number you want to call.
Depending on which country or region you call, it will have one number of digits or another. But it will already have everything included, you just have to remember to add the prefixes from the previous sections.
How do I know the prefix of the country I want to call?
You will have to look it up, since each country has its unique prefix. Here you can see them all.
Useful numbers in the United States
During your trip through the United States, there are several numbers that will be very useful to keep notes.
Not only for emergency situations, but because, in some areas of the country (especially in National Parks), it is common not to have a good internet connection.
- 911 is the emergency number in the United States. You can call from any phone in case of an urgent situation where you need help from the police, fire brigade or an ambulance.
They may ask for your phone number so they can contact you if the call disconnects, so it's also very useful to have your phone written down (in case you bought a SIM with a US number and you don't know it, for example).
- Phone numbers of the hotels where you are going to stay to notify of any setbacks, if you will arrive later than the check-in time…
- Emergency telephone number for your travel insurance, to quickly contact them and tell you what to do in the event of a medical emergency. Here we tell you how to choose travel insurance for the United States.
- Roadside assistance phone number of your car rental company. Here we tell you more about renting a car in the United States.
- Telephone number of your credit or debit cards to cancel them quickly in case of loss or theft.
✅ 5% discount on your travel insurance. Remember to always travel insured when you visit the United States, as we tell you in this guide. We use Mondo insurance and, by contracting it from here, you get a 5% discount.
We hope that these tips for calling the United States from another country, and vice versa, have been useful to you.
If you have any questions, leave us a comment! And don't forget to check out our United States guides for a thousand and one routes, tips and local experiences.